Jersey Employment & Discrimination Tribunal 2017 Annual Report
The Jersey Employment & Discrimination Tribunal (“JEDT”) has recently published its 2017 Annual Report. Click here for the 2017 Annual Report.
The Annual Report is always well worth a read: it provides a straightforward overview of what has been happening in Jersey employment law, including through the use of clear and accessible graphs.
Key points for 2017 include:
- A 20% increase in the number of claims issued in 2017
- This included a 57% increase in the number of discrimination claims lodged with the Tribunal (up from 35 to 55)
- 63% of discrimination claims related to the protected characteristic of sex and related characteristics (such as sexual orientation, gender reassignment, pregnancy and maternity)
- There was a 33% increase in the number of employer counterclaims for breach of contract (probably attributable to changes which made it easier for employers to counterclaim)
- 2/3 of employer counterclaims for breach of contract were successful
- Constructive dismissal remains a difficult claim for employees to pursue
- When unfair and constructive dismissal claims are looked at in the round, employees and employers were equally successful in 2017
If you would like more information please do not hesitate to contact Advocates Vicky Milner and Davida Blackmore:
T: (01534) 510250